JOB POSTING: PhD position
Recruiting organisation: University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
PI: Prof. Michele Vendruscolo
Subproject title: Rational design of a panel of antibodies targeting LINGO-1
Starting date: 01.10.2021
We invite applications for two Marie Sklodowska-Curie Early Stage Researcher (MSC-ESR No. 11 and 12) Fellowships, starting 1 October 2021, to work with Professor Michele Vendruscolo in the Centre for Misfolding Diseases on the development of fragment-based computational design methods for antibody discovery.
The specific goals are:
- To review and finalise the selection of relevant target antigens;
- To apply the rational antibody discovery approach to design novel antibodies against these antigens;
- To express and purify the novel antibodies, and test their affinity and specificity for their targets.
The project will form part of a EC Marie Sklodowska-Curie European Training Network (Bio2Brain), which unites 11 academic teams, 5 key industrial stakeholders and an academic non-profit organisation from across Europe. Although based in Cambridge, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to collaborate with different members of the network, including secondments, yearly summer schools and attendance at international meetings.
For more information on MSCA-ITN, please see: https://ec.europa.eu/research/mariecurieactions/.
Qualifications / experience:
- Applicants must satisfy the EC’s eligibility requirements for MSC-ESR Fellowships, and must not have resided in the UK for more than 12 months in the last three years.
- Candidates should have (or expect to obtain) at least the equivalent of a UK upper second class honours degree (and preferably a Masters degree) in physics, chemistry, computer science, molecular biology, or other relevant scientific discipline.
- Candidates should have an interest in computational physics, computational chemistry or bioinformatics. Basic knowledge of bio-analytics would be desirable.
- The Fellowship is offered in conjunction with a PhD position, subject to the Fellow satisfying the university’s admissions requirements for PhD study. The Fellowship will provide a salary that includes a living allowance of around €40,000 p.a. plus a mobility allowance of around €6,425 p.a..
How to apply:
Interested candidates are strongly advised, prior to applying, to read carefully the job description and to contact Prof. Michele Vendruscolo email@example.com in case of any questions or doubts.
Application system closed.
Assessment process on-going.
For further information about the University of Cambridge, please see: https://www.cam.ac.uk/. More information about the research in the Vendruscolo group can be found at: https://www.ch.cam.ac.uk/person/mv245 and https://www.cmd.ch.cam.ac.uk/.
For questions, please contact:
Prof. Michele Vendruscolo: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote reference MA25789 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
Assessment of applications starts 6 April 2021
Interviews are planned for April/ May 2021.